Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Homeschool - our story (part 2)

After I posted this weekend, I started thinking about all the reasons why we homeschool. And honestly, I didn’t have all these reasons when we started. Some I have acquired along the way. 😉 

  1. Having direct input in what my kids are learning - knowing what they are learning and what ideas they are being introduced to is important to us. We get to teach from a Biblical perspective history, science, music, art and so much more. 
  2. Flexibility - we can work school around our schedule not the other way around. We can take a day and go see the cousins or grandparents. Or take a field trip to the zoo (before quarantine).  We have been starting in July the last three years and then taking most of December off to enjoy the holidays. 
  3. Time - we usually spend 2-4 hours a day on school lessons. Contrast this with an 8 hour school day and you can see that you can get a lot done in a short amount of time. Two of the three girls do gymnastics, one at a competitive level and the other does ballet. Before quarantine Avery had practice 9 hours a week. Because we homeschool, we are typically done around lunch time give or take. She still has the afternoon to play and be a kid. 
  4. God called us. This sounds like the Sunday school answer but it is true. I believe God was leading us toward this journey before we even had kids. He placed people in our lives who were homeschooling or had been homeschooled. It planted the seed and that seed grew into where we are now. 

I know in the current climate of our country, a lot of you may be considering homeschooling for other reasons and that is totally fine. Those reasons are valid. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Are you looking to provide stability for your kids in a crazy environment? Homeschooling might be the answer. Is your child struggling with anxiety or fear? This might be the nudge you need. 


Hear my heart. I’m not against public school. I’m a product of it and I’m so very thankful for the teachers and coaches I had who poured into me to help me become who I am today. But I do recognize that our world is very different than when I was in school 30 years ago. 


Homeschooling works for us and our family. It might work for you and it might be just for a season. That’s the beauty of it. It doesn’t have to be forever. But you might find you love it. And your kids are thriving and growing by leaps and bounds. Who knows?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to School 2020

 Like the rest of this year, back to school is nothing like we expected. 2020 has shaken us up and tossed us around like the game of Trouble...